Volks... Yep.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

| | |
Lately I've found myself in the honestly shocking position of wanting a Volks doll. It is not that I ever had anything against Volks but rather that for the most part, their style is not my cup of tea. Many of them seem heavy-lidded and sorta squashy or squarish. Though I have always had a soft spot for School A, and some time ago discovered how adorbs Okita Souji is (way, way out of my price range).

So why suddenly? I dunno. I guess my doll interests are sort of shifting or something. I made the unfortunate mistake (for myself) of starting this hobby with hybriding. Fun. And while I still really like the Migidoll sculpts, the frustration of finding them bodies has sort of deflated some of my fun. Both my boys are on cheap cheap bodies because I didn't want to spend a lot on a body that I didn't know would work. Although for the most part, I like the Fdoll body, and I still haven't played with the Abio Angel one much (it might be great after the arms are modded).

But I am a perfectionist, so having bodies that are a little off or a little funky... well... it's just kinda blah for me.... and then there's that concept of having "Frankendolls" which have been modded with different company's parts and have a bunch of structural mods, etc etc. For people who want to do that, more power to them. But I don't think it really fits my personality. So I suppose in an effort to get as far away from this concept as possible, my brain latched onto wanting a Volks doll.

Perhaps part of this is the big company pat on the back that Volks gives you, or so I hear, so it's like you've joined some kind of club. And they have stores and cool stuff like that. Secondly, everyone says "there's something about Volks" which I don't particularly have an experience in, but I want a piece! I have seen a few Volks dolls IRL. A few were in Seattle, and some were owned by my friend in Hawaii (She had a Shirou Tachibana and a YoTenchi Kasumi I think it was.. and probably a lot of others but those are the ones I remember specifically). Well I can't say I've ever been hit over the head with this something irl but I figure a lot of that is because I haven't actually played with them or didn't like the way they were customized, or maybe it's just because they have to be your own dolls for you to feel it.

I am excessively rambling!

Another reason is cause of everyone saying the quality is almighty, and this is an undeniable draw. The resin and weight quality, I'm interested in that. I like the way the Fdoll body poses, but it is very light and the resin is shiny instead of toothy like the Jina head. Definitely not a big fan of the plastic look.

Lastly, I've come to discover that posing isn't nearly as important to me as I thought it was. What matters to me instead seems to be the way the joints look. I cannot stand the way many of the double jointed bodies look and operate, and I experienced this personally with the Illusion Spirit body. I prefer single joints, and that nice round ball joint. No peanuts, no weird stuff.

I'm also not a big fan of how skinny and long legged my dolls currently are.. it seems too unrealistic. Maybe Volks isn't better for this, but I hear that they are sorta stockier which in the doll world means closer to humanly realistic, haha.

So yeah. I was looking at the Volks database, and luckily for me, I really like Volks Kanata which is an available standard.

0 comments:

Post a Comment